Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Preaching the Fullness of Christ

UPDATED


The relationship of justification and sanctification has returned to the forefront of the Twitter and blog circles I frequent. William B. Evans rekindled the discussion with a response to Tullian Tchividjian’s formulation of justification, which seems at times to be an aversion to sanctification. Today, Sean Michael Lucas offered a rejoinder. Rick Phillips is the most recent to add to Reformation21's impromptu series - providing seven assertions about these twin benefits and their relationship.


Phillip’s post is helpful, especially his mention of the believer’s union with Christ – specifically in his death. Beginning with John Murray, many have called this particular aspect of the ordo salutis “definitive sanctification.” Phillips’ comments are a welcome addition to the discussion. However, we have seen over the last several years that definitive sanctification is denied or even entirely lost on many theological popularizers. Yet to many it is a critical element to understanding what the Spirit does in transforming or renovating sinners upon union with Christ.


When the Spirit effectually calls a sinner and unites him or her to Christ, the sinner is simultaneously justified, adopted, and definitively sanctified. The power of sin is broken in the sinner’s life. They have died to sin (cf Rom 6:1-14; 1 Cor 1:2, 30; 6:11) and have now embarked upon a life of Spiritual renewal that continues until they either die or the Lord returns.


In my estimation, Tchividjian’s and Lucas’s posts were mostly motivated by what preaches or what will best help their respective congregations. This is an honorable motivation. But before we resign ourselves to preaching a single benefit, let us see that a full understanding of union with Christ has great practical value.


When I sit in the pew, I want my pastor to proclaim to me that by virtue of my faith-union with Christ, I am justified. I am no longer guilty and have escaped any sort of condemnation. But I also want him to tell me that I am part of God’s family. I have been accepted as a son and full heir to the promises and inheritance that Christ has procured. Yet perhaps most local to the concerns of this recent thread, I want my pastor to tell me that I am a slave of righteousness now having the freedom not to sin. Sin has no power over me, because I have died to sin. I belong to Christ and my fight for holiness has a future because I am united to my savior and his Spirit is at work within me. And one day I will see my savior face-to-face and be glorified.


My concern throughout this discussion is not to isolate the main problem facing people in the pews – whether that is legalism, cheap grace, or some other important issue. My concern is to hold up Christ as he is revealed in the fullness of his redemptive work. Moreover, I am convinced that my concern should have a tremendous impact on all of our communication whether it is through sermons, blog posts, or tweets. Granted, we cannot say everything at once. But our message should seek to demonstrate all this Christ is and what he has done. Exhorting anything less than union with Christ and the fullness of the benefits that flow from it will never do justice to Scripture.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment